The APPGA has an advisory group to provide expert advice to the Officers of the APPGA on autism and current policy issues affecting people with autism and their families.
At the time it was formed in 2000, it was decided that each advisory group member should have some policy and some autism knowledge. In addition, it was also decided that the Group as a whole needed detailed Parliamentary knowledge, academic insight, comprehensive representation of both policy areas and people, professional insight, perspectives of people with autism and personal insight.
As vacancies arise, the Advisory Group jointly approach a person who will maintain the skills, knowledge and insight balance of the group as a whole. The Advisory Group is not an elected group.
Members of the advisory group are as follows:
- Professor Tony Charman (Chair)
- Christine Swabey - Autistica
- Dr Juli Crocombe - Clinical Psychiatrist
- Simon Baron Cohen - academic
- Peter Barrett - young man with autism
- Kate Williams - Ambitious about Autism
- Carol Rutherford - parent of children with autism
- Melissa McAuliffe - social worker
- Amanda Batten - The National Autistic Society
- Grace Hsieh - parent of a child with autism
- Carol Cullen - parent of a child with autism
Ann Memmott - adult with autism
- John Phillipson – Autism Alliance
You may also find the following organisations of interest:
Autism Research Centre
Institute for Child Health